Sunday, August 1, 2010

My summer of Be(long)ing

Disclaimer: I consider myself to be semi well-adjusted to daily interactions, though I do probably overthink them as much or more than everyone else. But there is also an internal dialogue that is occurring at all times in which I'm trying to gauge my reactions to things and so this means that I've found use in a variety of different "languages" in order to create a coherent understanding of the parts of myself that are helpful to put into boxes (i.e. what drives satisfaction, what things frustrate me, what sort of systems help me ground myself, self-acceptance, etc.)
So that means that this entry could seem disjointed, and that's fine.

When I went back to college, I had the most incredible perspective. My grades from Davidson had become irrelevant, and so all of a sudden, the most damning, or uplifting, markers of the college experience had suddenly been revealed to be a little less powerful and permanent. So I just wanted to go learn, to explore and experience.
Well, three semesters later and I'm pretty much back into the old groove. I want to do well in school and be able to see it in my grades. I want to have my college success boost me into a career.

Now, I have lived through this summer, and it's kinda fun to realize that I'm going to go back to my last semester with that same fresh enthusiasm and unique set of expectations that I had not very long ago. You see, I think I'm beginning to realize that the greatest accomplishment and intelligence for me revolves around the ability to live in community and companionship with others.
It's the whole "we are social creatures" idea that I'm going to try and appreciate while at school. In fact, and I already knew this, my interests and thoughts constantly revolve around what it feels like to be a person within the context that surrounds me and others. And it has taken this summer for me to feel re-inforced in that that effort in clear ways and for discernible reasons.

So, I've been do-ing a lot of work on the farm and I do a lot of work at school, but there is much more be-ing in relationships than doing. Do-ing is only a part of belonging to a community and be-ing in relationship. And this summer has reminded me of that. That's why it has been my summer of be(long)ing.

No comments:

Post a Comment